We are Marylebone's oldest amenity society, having been set up in 1948 to help save the war-damaged Nash Terraces in Regent's Park.
The Society is a Registered Charity (No. 274082) run by volunteers from amongst its members. Our members come from all parts of Marylebone – but you don't have to live or work in Marylebone to join us as a member. All you require is a particular interest in this very special part of London.
We study and record the history and social development of Marylebone, contributing to the Marylebone Local History Collection of City of Westminster Archives Centre. Through our publications, we aim to stimulate public interest in the beauty, character and traditions of Marylebone.
CULTURAL & SOCIAL
The Society organises a variety of cultural, educational and social events that enable members to meet like-minded people. These include visits to notable buildings and landmarks, talks and opportunities to socialise. These are publicised through our regular Newsletter.
PLANNING & CONSULTATION
Westminster City Council is required to consult the Society on planning issues in the central part of the old Borough of St Marylebone which includes Regent's Park. Our planning committee meets monthly to provide expert recommendations on applications. We also comment on matters affecting the whole of Marylebone and represent the views of residents to various government bodies.
A Tradition of Celebrating and Caring for St Marylebone
In 2000, as a millennial project, the Society published "Discovering St Marylebone" which presented the history of Marylebone through four self-guided walks. A new edition of that publication is given free to all new members of the Society.
Given the importance of the architect John Nash to Marylebone, in 1952 the Society initiated a campaign to mark the bicentenary of his birth and helped to finance the erection of the Nash Memorial outside All Soul's Church in Langham Place. It was fitting that, as part of our own 60th anniversary celebrations in 2008, the Society paid to have the Nash Memorial restored and cleaned.
Another St Marylebone Society project that spans the generations is the Memorial Garden in Marylebone High Street which marks the site of the original St Mary's parish church, dating from 1400. Having been instrumental in the creation of the garden in 1951, following its recent temporary demolition during building work on a neighbouring site, the Society has once again played a key role in ensuring the garden is appropriately re-created. In particular, the Society has campaigned and fundraised to re-instate a key wall that made the original garden such an oasis of peace.